Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Why do they have to grow up so fast?

My Curly Girl has her first crush! And it's KILLING me! She's been talking nonstop since school started about a boy in her class. She tells us that she's going to marry him when she's a grownup and she's going to wear a dress like I did in our wedding picture and he's going to dress up like Daddy did.

So today we had a playdate at Chik Fil A. This morning when she was getting dressed she insisted that she HAD to wear a dress. Ok, that's fine, I choose my battles wisely. Then she insisted on wearing flip flops. Ok, the weather's warm today and it's probably the last time you'll be able to wear them until spring.

Then she turns to me and says "Mommy, I need some lipstick to look beautiful."

"No you don't" I told her, "You're beautiful just the way you are."

I don't know where she's getting this from. We've always told her that she's beautiful just the way she is and smart and strong and everything else we believe she is. We're trying to help her grow up with confidence in herself and not feel that she has to judge herself by what she sees in the mirror but what she knows is on her inside.

I've always made it a point that when I'm getting myself ready that I don't say anything negative about myself or make a face when I'm not happy about what I'm wearing. Not that I don't feel it sometimes but I just don't want my girls to grow up not feeling "pretty" enough or "good" enough.

Another thing I just don't get is why she feels like she has to be pretty for this little boy. I've always been confident in myself and have never felt like I had to impress the boys. I want her to have confidence and not chase boys. I really thought I'd have a few more years before I'd even have to worry about this stuff.

We don't have any Hanna Montana or High School Musical stuff in our house. She watches PBS when she watches tv or she watches a dvd. I have no idea where she's getting this stuff from. She's always telling me that the little boy is her boyfriend. He's a great kid and his mom's great.

I guess I just have to face it that my little girl is growing up and the more she's around other kids at school the more she's going to pick up. We just have to keep her grounded and build her confidence so that she becomes an independent thinker and isn't influenced by other people who may not have that at home.

I am so not ready for this age yet!

No comments: