Friday, August 22, 2008

Losing your heart

When we went to Sesame Place the other day I had just a taste of what parents must feel in that moment when they realize they can't find their child.

I was playing with Munchkin in the little kid area. Hubby and Curly Girl were off climbing in the nets and tubes. There were so many little kids in the play area where Munchkin and I were that it was hard to tell whose kid was whose. One of the dads walked in front of me and momentarily blocked my view from where I was sitting, it was maybe ten seconds or so. In that small amount of time Munchkin decided to take off to somewhere more interesting.

Suddenly I realized that she wasn't there. I swear she was only about five feet away from me and that quickly she was gone. I started to panic and call her name. I asked a few people if they had seen her and I realized that I couldn't even think of what she was wearing. I started running around calling for her and I went over to another section just next to where we were playing that had a slide and climbing set on on and I find Munchkin climbing up the slide, totally oblivious to how she freaked me out.

This really made me realize just how quickly they can disappear. She was just five feet away from me! It's so important to never take your eyes off of them for even a split second, especially when there are so many other kids around and everything is the same bright primary colors of the clothes they are wearing.

I hope that I never have to experience that feeling again. In just the 30 seconds or so that I thought I'd lost her I had so many horrible thoughts go through my mind. My heart goes out to those parents who have lost a child.

I just thank God that I found her when I did. I don't want to lose my heart ever again.

4 comments:

Sarahviz said...

I just wrote about this same type of experience--when we lost our youngest on a crowded beach. It takes your breath away.

Anonymous said...

For a parent, there is no possible worse feeling. It's truly amazing how quickly the most random things can happen. Last week, when the boys' were in bed, or so we thought. Nathan, whos in a big-boy bed, came down stairs, while we were still in our downstairs family room, snuck out to our sunroom , where there is outside access and our hot tub. He came waltzing in with a toy that was on top of the hot tub itself, so he must have crawled on top the cover which easily could have collasped and dumped into the filled tub, and we would never have known. So the possibility of reviving quick enough, would have been impossible. Needless to say, my husband has drained the hot tub and vowed to never use it again. No matter how careful you think are, there is always that once scenario you didnt plan for and could have the worst outcomes!

Being a parent is scary!

Samantha said...

I think almost every mother has gone through such an experience. But sometimes I think the bigger they get, the more things there are to worry about.

Alison said...

I absolutely hate that feeling of panic when you can't find them or they are out of your sight for just a second.

Glad everything worked out alright.